Here's the Playlist from the Mix CD I made for my newest batch of Intro to Poetry Writing Students:
1. Pajo: Flashlight Tornado
2. White Stripes: Little Room
3. John Lee Hooker: Boogie Chillin'
4. Modest Mouse: Bukowski
5. Bob Dylan: Visions of Johanna
6. Memphis Slim: Nervous
7. Cat Power: Free
8. Magnetic Fields: How Fucking Romantic
9. Mountain Goats: International Small Arms Traffic Blues
10. Tom Waits: Cold Water
11. Otis Redding: Pain in my Heart
12. Fugazi: Long Division
13. The Danielson Famile: Did I Step On Your Trumpet?
14. Violent Femmes: Lies
15. Beastie Boys: Sure Shot
16. Wu Tang Clan: A Better Tomorrow
17. Lou Reed: I Love You
18. Tom Waits: The Piano Has Been Drinking
19. Magnetic Fields: Come Back From San Francisco
20. Rogue Wave: Publish My Love
21. Bruce Springsteen: Mary Queen Of Arkansas (Columbia Pop Audition, Take One)
(surrealism, extended metaphor, form following content, concrete vs abstract image, objective correlative (ugh), sentiment vs sentimentality, cliche, lies,lies,lies, tone, rhythm, the business of poetry, art for art's sake, famous poets, and more!)
I use this CD to supplement the syllabus (which already includes a giant, 6-page, cut and pasted anthology I crudely photocopied to supplement the text).
I suggest one or two tracks to go along with the discussion of the day. We get to it if we have time at the end of class.