About Me

My photo
Assistant Professor, William Paterson University of New Jersey, United States

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

DRAFTING SWALLOWING DRAMAMINE


What I enjoy most about my own book-length writing process is the discovery of each individual piece as well as the colors of larger book-length thing itself. If you haven't already guessed, I don't force content narrative or form. I also like the fact that I relinquish nearly all control in first draft mode, and exert (a kind of) total control in subsequent/final draft mode. Regardless, I'm nearly done drafting this next manuscript (tentatively titled "THERE ARE AIRS," but w.t.f.k. at this point). I'm stopping to look back at what i've been putting down. Three immediate thoughts: 1) My process has been at times so governed by sound that i'm going to have to rethink my discussions of invention and my own drafting process in my Introduction to Poetry course. 2) I've written several poems with the title "American Funeral," though they aren't nearly as grandiose or bulging as they might seem from such a title. Oh size and scale! 3) I seem to be taken, as I finish up, with Ekman and Friesan's Facial Action Coding System. That's me in the bottom row, second from the left, next to you.

No comments: